HomeHome  HomeHome  TutorialsTutorials  DonateDonate  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Top posters
silent mb (468)

Inkognito (465)

2good4u2 (266)

DUM4S5 (214)

Decadence Night (165)

AmX15 (148)

Rickder 6 (124)

saysmoo (115)

Doc152 (115)

Knight Kninja (85)

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 27 on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:40 pm

Share | 

Map of the Halo universe

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Inkognito
Map Reviewer

PostSubject: Map of the Halo universe   Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:44 pm

In the first thread I made, Doc152 suggested we make a map of the Halo universe with the locations of the Halo rings, the Ark, and the planets/colonies of every species.

I found an image that I think would be a great image to use as default. (If somebody can find a better one, feel free to post it)

Here is the full size
Back to top Go down
Strike Force
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Map of the Halo universe   Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:32 am

I have tried this before, but could not come to a distinct solution. My theory was eventually shot down in the Compoundintelligence forums. Anyway, the pic that I used was from Wikipedia:

Milky way from the top

I figured the best configuration for the rings so that their 25,000 light year effective radius would cover the whole galaxy would be one of two ways:

The first would be all 7 rings spaced equally away from the center of the galaxy, so if you would "connect the dots" so to speak of the Halo rings, they would form a heptagon around the center of the milky way galaxy.

The second option would be having 6 around the center of the galaxy with one in the center of the galaxy. Im not quite sure if this configuration would leave spaces and gaps of the galaxy that would be outside of the blast radii.

I think the best option is the first one, with the 7 rings circling around the center of the galaxy.

The next thing to be figured out is the position of the Heptagon over the galaxy. Well we know that Alpha Halo has to be very close to Earth, because according to Halopedia, UNSC ships travel through slipspace at roughly 2.625 Lightyears/day. And it took "several weeks" for the Pillar of Autumn to get to Installation 04 from Reach. I used to know how close reach was to earth, but basically, the distance from reach to earth and the distance the Pillar of Autumn could travel in a month is all under 100 Lightyears.
Back to top Go down
Doc152
Legendary Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Map of the Halo universe   Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:43 am

thats pretty good! now that we have a start, now we need to start looking at how the map will really take shape. Homeworlds, HALO's, the Ark, even it is fan art, this would be spectacular.
Back to top Go down
Strike Force
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Map of the Halo universe   Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:40 am

Well if you take a look at the pic that I posted, it is safe to say that all of Humanities Colonies fit within that smallest circle, along with Alpha Halo and Onyx. As far as the Ark (Installation 00), it is exactly 262,144 light years from the center of the galaxy. As far as position, That is anyone's guess, seeing as the portal would provide instantaneous travel to the Ark. Personally, I like to think that the Ark is 262,144 light years directly above the center of the galaxy. So in this configuration the Ark would be exactly the same distance away from each of the Halo rings if the rings are all an equal distance away from the center of the galaxy.

Well there's my two cents
Back to top Go down
Doc152
Legendary Adventurer

PostSubject: Re: Map of the Halo universe   Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:16 am

two cents accepted now come clean the brains off my office wall...my head just exploded after that statement! well, lets give it a shot and see what happens, everyone, lets pic a scene and discuss it and put it together. we should be able to put something together considering the talent for visual effect so well demonstrated here.
Back to top Go down
Inkognito
Map Reviewer

PostSubject: Re: Map of the Halo universe   Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Strike Force wrote:
Well if you take a look at the pic that I posted, it is safe to say that all of Humanities Colonies fit within that smallest circle, along with Alpha Halo and Onyx. As far as the Ark (Installation 00), it is exactly 262,144 light years from the center of the galaxy. As far as position, That is anyone's guess, seeing as the portal would provide instantaneous travel to the Ark. Personally, I like to think that the Ark is 262,144 light years directly above the center of the galaxy. So in this configuration the Ark would be exactly the same distance away from each of the Halo rings if the rings are all an equal distance away from the center of the galaxy.

Well there's my two cents

In the mission, the ark, it shows they galaxy being off to the upper right.
Back to top Go down
Strike Force
Journeyman

PostSubject: Re: Map of the Halo universe   Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:02 am

True, the cutscene does move the galaxy to the right to show the Ark. However, if you look at the galaxy in the Ark mission, it looks like we are either above or below it for the most part. Probably not at a 90 degree angle from the center like I first suggested, but at a pretty steep angle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Map of the Halo universe   

Back to top Go down

Map of the Halo universe
Page 1 of 1